Sunday, May 29, 2005

A Yard Sale to Remember....

This Saturday some of my friends from America here from a different organization had a yard sale. I never really thought about having a yard sale in Uganda (since you can go to the used clothing market and buy everything cheap), but apparently it's a pretty big deal. Of course I am always looking for deals so I was eager to go. The signs posted around town said that it started at 1pm...I got there a bit late (imagine that...i've always been a "late" person and living here in Africa is NOT helping). I had my new teammates' kids with me (a 13 yr. old, 12 yr. old, and 9 yr. old). When we got to the gate of the house where the yard sale was you would have thought it was a rock concert (ok maybe i am exaggerating a bit) but it was like a mob! There was a gatekeeper that was only allowing 5 people in at once! Apparently Ugandans can get pretty aggressive when they all get at a yard sale together (stealing stuff from each other, etc) and there wasn't enough "security" to watch all of them at once. The line was forever long so the kids decided they didn't want to stay (i think they were kind of scared...i don't blame them!). But I needed to ask one of the ladies running the yard sale a question so I tried to push my way through people to yell at her through the gate. All the Ugandans started getting upset and pushing me out of the way cause they thought I was trying to cut in front of them!! I tried to explain to them, but then I just gave up...seriously it was crazy. I wish I had had my camera. Can you imagine having to have "security" at a yard sale...only in Africa!

No comments: