So I got on the phone to call Dr. Pepper my supervisor. Dr. Pepper said to try to write down their driver's license and information and then try to get 50,000 Ugandan shillings out of them. Well, when I asked to see their license they said they 'left it at home' a.k.a. they don't have one. They thought 50,000 was too much and asked where I lived so we could go to my residence and talk about this...WHAT?! Yeah like I am going to bring 3 men to my house. Dr. Pepper called me back and said he was on his way.
By this time it was becoming dark outside and a few other men were stopping to see what was going on. Dr. Pepper pulls up and I tell Emily to stay inside the car with the doors locked. Larry has his camera and immediately starts taking pictures of my car and the other car. He can be a pretty intimidating guy (not because of his size, but because of his demeanor). He then begins to try to take a picture of the man who was driving 'illegally'. The guy gets scared and tries to hide his face, so Larry grabs him and continues trying to take his picture. All the other men who were crowded around begin raising their voices and talking in Runyankore. I felt like we were on the TV show 'COPS' or something.
The men refuse to pay any money or show proof of their driving information so Larry says we are going to the police station. The men 'agreed' to come and we all got into our cars to go just as it began to rain. I was leading and then I saw that they turned down a dirt road and Larry followed them. I waited a couple minutes then called Larry. I heard his car horn blaring in the background....he was CHASING THEM! Hey when you can't call the police....YOU become the police. I went to the police station to wait. By this time it was pouring down rain, just like a movie or something. I finally get a call from Larry and he said he chased them to the other side of town. They drove to a bakery apparently where they work (how dumb is that?). So Larry talked with their boss and was able to document what happened and they paid the 50,000 sh we were asking for so we decided not to turn it into the police....like that would have really done any good anyways. I still cannot believe Larry chased down these guys! Just another crazy story from my life here. But seriously praise the Lord we were ok and nothing worse happened. Safety is a constant prayer request for life here. Everyday I get behind the wheel and make it home safely is a miracle!
2 comments:
Wow, Kari- that does sound like an episode of Cops- "Bad boys, bad boys... whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do when they come for you?!" I am glad Dr. Pepper was there to help out and chase down the bad guys.
We have a short week this week because of Independence day on Thursday- so you are still our Missionary of the Week... I read this story to my kids and we prayed for you this morning. I am glad you are okay- that stinks for your car- can you still drive it? Love ya! ~Amy
I am glad that you are okay Kari! Maybe you should get a horse like me! There are several places I won't or can't drive to but do okay with a horse. Just be careful and we will have to trust God to continue to watch over you.
Love
Lindsey
Post a Comment