I had heard of 'jiggers' because my friend Christy in Kampala, Uganda had one a several months ago, but I think hers was on the bottom of her foot and I didn't really know what it was.
I learned today that a 'jigger' is a parasite (like a tick, chigger, or a flea) actually it is a flea and what happens is the pregnant female flea burrows under the skin, sucks blood, swells, and releases eggs. They typically infest the foot area because they cannot 'jump' very far. I asked Evas what I need to do and she said it has to be removed along with the eggs! So we went to my house where I gave Evas a sterile needle and some alcohol pads and she proceeded to dig out my 'jigger'. Let me tell you....this was not a pleasant experience. As she opened the nodule, she saw the eggs, but getting the actual jigger out was not an easy process.
Finally after some time, blood, and pain she removed it and I saw the little pest! It just looked like this hard, small white thing covered in blood. My toe is wrapped up now with antibiotic ointment, but it still hurts some. I kept asking Evas if she was sure she got it all and all the eggs...she says she did. I sure hope so cause I don't want to go through that again!
I asked Evas how I got this 'jigger' and she said she didn't know cause she had never even had one! It is usually common of dirty people that live in the village especially children who go barefoot! I know I am not DIRTY, and I wear sandals everyday...I don't go barefoot. So who knows. But I told Evas, "thanks...I guess I need to start paying better attention to my hygiene!"
6 comments:
Hello Kari,
This is Nathan Scott from Union University. I keep updated on your time there from my home church in Calhoun, KY (they send us a prayer email). My wife Alexis (Abney) enjoy reading your updates. Sounds like father is teaching you a lot in Africa.
We moved from Louisville, KY, where I finished my masters and we justed moved about a month ago to Chattanooga, TN where I am the Director of Recreation Ministry at a Church.
May you have a blessed day and be protected.
Kari- That is gross! I have never heard about being Jiggered! I was reading to my students yesterday when one of the characters said "I'm Jiggered"- and I was expecting him to have this same thing... He was just excited- but it was strange to hear a word I have never heard before twice in one week- And in different meanings. I hope you are never jiggered again!! And that you your foot if better soon!!
Love ya,
Amy
Kari,
I don't think I'm going to be able to stay at your house next week when I come to Kampala. You obviously don't keep it clean. Haha. Jiggers are PAINFUL! I find it interesting that you gave your person a steril needle to work with. I handed Sarah a safety pin and she dug like it was her JOB! Sorry to say, it hurt for WEEKS after. I kept Neosporin and a bandaid on it forever. But then, mine was on the ball of my foot. Maybe your toe will heal faster.
See you soon!
Dirty Village Girl
Sorry, I mean when I come FROM Kampala TO Mbarara. Why is there no way to edit comments?
Yeah Amy you're right..the phrase, "I'm jiggered" doesn't mean that the person necessarily suffered from a parasite in their foot called a jigger, but rather the term 'jiggered' came about after British sailors had aquired 'jiggers' after traveling to some underdeveloped country. They then began to use this word as an expression either meaning...exhausted, or other 'not-so-nice' terms :) And I think it's because the experience of having a jigger is a 'not-so-nice' one! Anyways, thats the way I have understood the origin of this phrase.
kari...i have enjoyed reading your comments on other posts...and i one of my roomates boyfriends just got back from uganda...i have only heard a few stories so far, but needless to say i am going to do some serious intercessing for you!!
Post a Comment