Saturday, January 07, 2006

Village Celebration....

During December I had the chance to go to two friends' introduction ceremonies. When Ugandan's get engaged they have to have a big ceremony in the bride-to-be's home village where she introduces her fiancee to her family and friends. Here I am with the groom-to-be, Benon (one of our national pastors in Kampala) and some other co-workers from Kampala (Claudia, Rebekah, and Christy). We are all wearing 'African wear'....I am wearing my traditional Banyankore (the people here in Southwest Uganda) dress. It was definitely an experience traveling to the DEEP village. At one point we were driving inbetween people's mud huts and on little dirt paths. And of course any village experience is not complete until you partake of traditional food, which unfortunately I paid for the next night. I awoke the next night the sickest I have been since I came to Uganda with some bad food poisioning! Thankfuly after a few days and a round of antibiotics I was back to normal. Unfortunately food-borne illnesses is just a part of living in a 3rd world country....but I think it will be a while before I eat local food again!

No comments: