Tuesday, June 28, 2005


"Abazungu... Abazungu". This is a sound I hear many times a day. (This is plural for white people). As I stopped the car while doing a home visit all these children ran out of the school to look at the "muzungu". It's kind of cute at first then it starts getting annoying when you hear it everyday all the time. My house is near a primary school so there are always children walking in front of my gate. When I leave in the morning or come home they stand and stare at me as I open the gate and drive in. If I wave to them they laugh and runaway..it's crazy! Sometimes they yell at me in this really high-pitched voice "muzungu, how are you". So I answer back in an equally high pitched voice "I am fine, how are you?" For some reason they think white people talk really high I guess. "How are you...I am fine" are some of the first English words Ugandans learn to speak and almost everyone can say that even if they don't speak English. The crazy thing is it is not just children who stare at me but also grown men and women. Sometimes I think men riding bicycles are going to kill themselves as they turn and stare at me while riding past! It's like come on, "yes my skin is white, don't you think I know that?" Sometimes I wish my skin wasn't a different color so I wouldn't be stared at all the time! (Just some of the day-to-day frustrations of life here in Uganda). But you gotta admit these kids are cute! Posted by Hello

No comments: