Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Bet this has never happened to you....

Tonight I went out to a village where we are doing some Bible Storying with another missionary, his 12 year old son, a male volunteer from the States, and my friend Debbie who is here visiting. Things started as usual...we were the first ones there. So we waited under the mango tree where we meet for others to arrive. Slowly they came...we greeted them and asked them how they were as best we could in Runyankore. But we happened to get a little more imformation than we had wanted (or at least the guys) when we asked a lady (actually one of our AIDS patients) how she was. I heard her speaking in Runyankore then I looked over to find her raising her shirt showing us her breast where she had been bitten by an insect of some sort. Pretty sure there where at least 15 people around. Bet you haven't had that happen in your Bible studies or Church meetings before!! I didn't even look at the guys faces and poor Jared, the 12 yr. old...he was probably about to die! But that is just another one of those cultural things...breasts are just a part of the body here...like a leg or your arm. Women breastfeed in public (and they don't try to do it descretely either), and when you are seeing patients in the hospital or clinic they begin undressing even if you don't need them too. It's so strange cause back in the states in nursing school we are taught to take every messure to ensure a patient's privacy...here they are like, "who cares it's just our body". No such thing as modesty here! Thought you might enjoy reading about another one of those fun cultural adjustments for me. I sure hope poor Jared isn't scarred for life!

No comments: