Isn't she precious?! This little girl was all smiles as she sucked on her plastic black 'grocery bag' (known as a cavara here...they are everywhere and causing a huge sanatation problem as everyone litters here) and hugged a Bible. Ugandan kids and their ability to sit for hours upon hours never complaining or causing trouble continues to amaze me! They don't have toys or crayons or 'things' to keep them entertained. Then I think about what all we have to do to keep our American children entertained, why is that? And really it must not just be Ugandan children but African culture in general because this child is a refugee from Congo.This is a picture of the white birds known as 'enyangi' that fly among the cattle here. These white birds are where I get my local Runyankore name...'Kenyangi'. I had never seen so many of these birds together before. They are supposed to be a pure spottless beautiful bird. Not that that's why I was named after them (my language teacher just gave me the name). But they are pretty special because they fly among the cattle and cattle are VERY important to most Banyankore people. The drive to the refugee camp was very pretty although very rough....it was the deepest I had ever gone into the bush.
No comments:
Post a Comment