Saturday, July 15, 2006

Pineapples....

The Union nursing team left a couple of these 'canned' pineapple cups from America. Even though we have tons of fresh pineapple here, I didn't have any one day and I wanted some fruit so I opened up one of these. I took one bite and almost had to spit it out it was so disgusting! I forgot how bad canned or what I like to call 'fake' pineapple is. How will I ever go back to America where I can't just go down to the street and buy a pineapple for 30 cents yearround?! We may not have McDonalds, but you can't beat these pineapple filled bicycles that line the street around the hospital/university, and all I have to do is pull over in my car and buy one.

I will definitely miss the pineapples here, but then again I am quickly reminded of all the fruits we have in America that I can't get here: grapes, oranges (well we have some that are green and extremely sour, more like a lemon), strawberries, canelopes, peaches, nectarines, plums, cherries, kiwi, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries.... But we do have mangos, small sweet bananas, papaya, passion fruit, watermelon (but not as good as America), guavas, jack fruit (very strange large fruit that I don't particularly like) that aren't as easy to get in America so it's a toss up. But i'd sure like to have some fresh strawberries and vanilla ice cream right now :)

This is how pineapples grow. This one is growing in my backyard and has been for like 8 months, so they take forever. But it'll be well worth the wait!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so cool how a Pineapple grows!! I've never seen that before... I have to say that I will miss all the fresh fruits and the variety of fruits here! I don't know anyone who eats canned fruits (here)- gross!

Let's catch up soon on MSN... I'll be traveling a lot- but should have internet! Talk to you soon... Love you and praying for you chica!

Lindsey said...

Hi Kari. I too love pineapple and I have read that it is great for your metablism. But they are more expensive here. They are almost a dollar a piece but then I remember that they are about $4 in the US so I go ahead and buy them. Our passion fruits are coming off now and they make yummy juice even though it takes a lot of sugar. I have started just eating them plain. I remember jack fruit from the Philippines but we don't have it here. It was so so. Got tired of ot pretty fast!

Take care,
Lindsey