Sometimes I feel like my life here is like the "Amazing Race" (by the way Mom thanks for sending me last season's tape!)....not so much the "race" part but all the other crazy stuff they do. For those of you who saw last season...I can totally identify with the brothers' (Brian and Greg...I think) car crash out in the African bush of Botswana! I could see it happening....I have learned from experience (unfortunately) that dirt/gravel is like ice and you easily lose control when your tires hit it at just the right speed!
Well, today I learned from another experience....how to use 4-wheel drive. As you all know I drive a pretty large "monster truck" as I like to call it (look back to pictures from December if you don't remember). Most Ugandans can't believe this little muzungu girl drives a truck like that (honestly I can't believe I do at times either). But anyways, today I was out in town doing home visits and found myself in a pretty tight area to try and turn my "monster truck" around. I reversed and got half-way turned around. Then I pulled up to get more room to try and back up again. Well, unfortunately the dirt area in front of me sloped down and was full of ruts. I found myself sliding down although I 'floored' the gas pedal. And to make things worse there was a huge pile of dirt/rocks to my right, small rented-rooms in front of me with a big gate, and a large "rut" to the back. I only had about a foot to go forward...and I think I came within a millimeter of the cement house! Of course at this point everyone has come out to see me try and get this truck out. I tried not to panic, but I knew I couldn't get out in the space I had available. Then thankfully a man came to open the gate, which gave me a little more room. I inched forward and then put in my 4- wheel low (without locking in my 4-wheel drive), but as I reversed I just kept digging my back tires deeper into the dirt. Now I was getting pretty scared because I thought we were going to have to get a tow truck (or 'break down' as they call it here) to come get me out. I called my supervisor, he told me to go lock in my 4-wheel drive on the front tires and then get some men to try and help push me out. There was only one man around so the two female counselors with me helped this guy push me out as I floored it...and Praise the Lord it worked!!
Everyday I learn something new...I never thought I would have to be doing some of the stuff I do here each day. Driving/car issues has definitely been one of the hardest things I have had to deal with here, but God has carried me every step of the way....not giving me more than I can handle. Thought you might enjoy this story of another day in Africa....
1 comment:
Amazing Race 2007!! We have to apply- how much fun to travel around the world- on the budget of the TV Show and... We will get air time to share about Christ because a lot of people watch! (Let's hope that we won't get in a wreck on an African Road- surely after 2 years with your 'off-road driving experience' and my 'crowded city dodging anything and everything experience' we can navigate the way!) What a fun way to end the two years of living in another country... surely they will accept us- I mean how crazy is it in the world's mind for two single Christian girls who lean on the Lord for strength to apply? I think it will be fun- we will make the video at debriefing! Miss you, Love you and Praying for you!
~Amy
Post a Comment