There were seriously some days that I didn't know if I was going to make it or not. Even though I had been on several short term overseas trips....visiting a 3rd world country for 2 weeks and actually living there are two totally different things. I really feel like my supporters' prayers help kept me here! Thank you all. Seriously it means so much to me, and I can 'feel' your prayers. People often ask me if I knew what was 'in store' would I still have come to Uganda....and I have to say 'yes'. Even though the first 6 months were some of the hardest months of my life, without them I wouldn't have come to learn of God's love, sovereignty and faithfulness the way I have. Of course it's easy to say that now that those times are over, but then again only God knows what is in store.
When I first came here I thought I could never live overseas long term, but the more I am here the more I wonder how I will ever go back the American life after living in Uganda. But not to say that I won't be extremely excited to go home when that time comes :) When I think about all I've 'survived' (food poising, learning how to cook from scratch, a jigger in my toe, flipping my truck and numerous other car problems, learning how to drive a stick shift on the opposite side of the road (which I think by the way makes more sense than the U.S.), living alone in a big house, and a lot of other things I would never have done in America) and all I've learned (about myself, how to speak a little Runyankore, care of HIV/AIDS patients, how to work with people of a totally different culture, and so much more) I feel like I am a completely different person at times. It's been a year I will never forget that's for sure, but my time is far from being over....I still have 10 months left! More crazy stories and adventures to come.....
"So whether we are at home or away, we make it our aim to please him." 2 Corinthians 5:9
Thursday, December 08, 2005
I've been living in Uganda 1 year!!!
Today marks my one year anniversary of living in Uganda. In some ways it feels like just yesterday I got off that plane, and then some days it feels like I have lived here FOREVER! All I can say is God is so faithful! I've gone from waking up with a nauseous 'pit' in my stomach to being able to actually function and enjoy living here (some days) :) Look here at Christy's website for more details of those first days in Uganda. (Which by the way without her those first 2 months would have been even worse...I thank God for sending me with Christy).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
God has carried you through for sure. I am proud of your commitment to serve and your maturity...plus I can't wait to taste the cooking from scratch! I love you and miss you --MOM
Always honor HIM first!
Kari- The Lord is so good- I remember our conversations from those first few months- I am so thankful for communication and friendships even though they are far off. You have been a wonderful friend in the past year- I am thankful for you! I am excited that the Lord has taught you so many new things- And many more to come in the next 10 months! Happy 1 year in Uganda- You should throw a fiesta! And make some of that 'from scratch' cooking... You will have to teach me your skills in cooking from scratch- here we have prepackaged things... so I haven't been as blessed as you to learn those!
Have a great weekend! Love, Amy
We made it though. By the GRACE OF GOD, we made it.
Love you!!
Post a Comment