Wednesday, December 07, 2005

My 'Charlie Brown' Christmas Tree....

It's really hard to get in the 'Christmas spirit' when it's hot outside, you don't see Christmas decorations up in stores, or hear Christmas music on the radio. We've had a couple of Christmas gatherings lately with other people who are also serving in Uganda where we have sung Christmas carols, but I can't hardly do it cause I feel like it is a joke...like it is Christmas in July or something! So this week I have been trying to get in the Christmas spirit by listening to Christmas CD's, and I asked my teammates to get me a Christmas tree in Kampala. They brought it back today and it came in a skinny little box. When I pulled it out and started pulling the 'branches' out we couldn't help but laugh at the little tree. I just kept thinking of Charlie Brown's Christmas tree....poor little thing.

So we turned on the good 'ole Amy Grant Christmas CD and got to work. Anna enjoyed dancing around to 'Rocking Around the Christmas Tree'. After some tugging and twisting of branches, Emily and I untangled and strung on some lights. Now the 'little guy' looks a lot better. This was at my teammate's house so I haven't set it up in my living room yet, but maybe I will try to tie on some ribbons or something since I don't have any ornaments. I know it's not the weather or the decorations or the music that make 'Christmas' Christmas, but it's amazing how much those things help you feel like it's Christmas. I'll keep trying but I sure will miss a good Kentucky Christmas this year....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kari- that is a little bit Charlie Brownish... but you decorated it well! We will put our tree up tonight- but it won't have any lights or decorations on it till Sunday when we go to the market to buy them.

Hey, if you get tired of your Christmas CD's- you can go to http://music.yahoo.com/ They have all kinds of Christmas Music!

What is the countdown on when your family comes?! I remember when it was like 9 months... now it is less than a month! I do hope you have a great Christmas and that you have many opportunities to share about Christ's birth!

Feliz Navidad!
~Amy

Anonymous said...

You put my pic on there?!! Gosh :) Just kidding.

Emily