After 7 long months of living on separate continents, Spencer came to visit me. We felt God leading us to marriage from the beginning and had already decided to get married in December, so I knew the official proposal would come during his visit, but I didn't know when. He kept trying to make me think it wouldn't happen till later in the trip, so I tried not to get my hopes up.
He arrived in Louisville with only 3 hours of sleep in the last 2 days. After I showed him around the seminary and some places in Louisville, he told me he had planned the rest of the day. Spencer is not a big planner and had never been to Kentucky (much less Louisville), so this was a very good surprise. He had researched things to do in Louisville and printed out maps to places he wanted to take me. He took me on a 'normal date' as he had never been able to in Uganda. First we went for a walk in Cherokee Park. There he told me he wasn't going to propose then and that I could search him and wouldn't find anything.
Next we went to Highland Coffee and had iced teas. I could tell Spencer was completely exhausted. I felt so bad because I knew he was tired and was trying to stay awake for me, so I told him we didn't have to go out for dinner (like he had planned), but that we could go back to my apartment and get pizza so he could rest. What I didn't know was that he had emailed some of my friends (he had never met) and an old college friend to help him prepare for his after dinner plans. At that very moment my roommate, Katherine, was getting the apartment ready for him to ask me a very important question. Fortunately the caffeine kicked in and we went to dinner at Ramsi's Cafe on the World, a neat little place with all kinds of ethnic foods. Dinner was good and we enjoyed just being together for the first time in a very long time.
After dinner I thought we would get Spencer's things from the apartment and take him to where he was staying the night as he was so tired. But when I opened the door, the coffee table was covered with candles and a wash basin and towel were on the floor. I knew what was coming and what I was going to say but I still got nervous. Spencer's hands were shaking so much he couldn't hardly light the candles. He had me sit on the couch, hugged me and sat beside me.
Spencer told me that he was incredibly blessed by God beyond what he could have ever thought possible to have me. He told me that he promises to love me no matter what I do or what happens. He told me that he wants to marry me not just for the good times we will have together, but for the difficult times and painful times, so that he can take care of me and be there for me and show me the love and leadership of Christ. He told me that he wanted to serve me as Christ served the church, and he washed my feet to symbolize that commitment. He also took out lotion and rubbed my feet because he said that he wanted to not just serve me minimally, but to give me full service :).
He told me about how being away from me is the hardest thing he has ever done and how excited he has been to come and see me. He told me how much he wanted to be with me and take care of me and live with me and minister with me and travel with me and raise kids with me and grow old with me. He told me he wanted to be with me whatever comes, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health, and then he pulled out a beautiful diamond ring and asked me to marry him. Before even looking at the ring I grabbed his neck and hugged him. Of course I said yes! Spencer is the best man I have ever known and I love him so very much. God has chosen him for me and me for him. I can't wait till December 8th when we can finally be together as husband and wife!
No comments:
Post a Comment