Sunday, December 19, 2004

Hello From Uganda....

Well, I made i made it to Uganda without problems on December 8th and even enjoyed a 10 hour layover in London seeing some of the sites (Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, etc). Thankfully all of our luggage arrived as well! I am living with Christy in the capital of Uganda currently (Kampala). The first week was pretty rough, but each day seems to get a little better. We are learning to drive in some of the craziest traffic I have ever seen. Of course we are driving a stick shift on the opposite side of the road than America and the steering wheel is also on the opposite side! You have to be a good defensive driver here or you will not survive!! There are so many things to watch out for...people walking, cows, chickens, goats, boda bodas (motorcycle taxis), and taxis with about 100 people in them that pull out right in front of you. Not only are the roads chaos, but the side roads are dirt with huge craters in them. You can hardly ever shift out of first so it takes forever to go even a short distance! There is only one working stop light in this city of over a million people so they use roundabouts to keep traffic flowing. Each time I enter a roundabout I pray God will protect me! Our time here so far has been spent getting adjusted to our new surroundings and learning how to survive in Africa! Tomorrow I begin language study for one of Uganda's 40 languages...Runyankore. I will have a tutor for 3 hours each day probably for at least the next 4 weeks...so please pray for memory as I try to learn this language! We have finally gotten internet at our house (praise God!) but unfortunately I cannot put my pictures on this website for some reason. I am hoping to find a way to show pictures though because words cannot describe these experiences that is for sure!