Dar es Salaam, Tanzania has a Subway! Isn't that crazy? There's like 3 in this town, but no where else on the African continent. It wasn't exactly the same as Subway in the States, but after not eating it in over a year I was definitely impressed! It's owned by an Arab man...I wanted to find the owner and tell him we could use one in Uganda :) Here I am with Laura Lee who works with university students in Dar (we went to college together). My trip to Tanzania was great, but that place is way too hot! I am not used to humidity in Uganda. I mean it was so hot I would sweat while standing in front of a fan or while taking a cold shower! I enjoyed seeing the beautiful Indian Ocean and Zanzibar, but I have to say I was ready to get back 'home' to Uganda's cooler weather.
** Correction (thanks to Amy a former jman in Lesotho, Africa) there is a Subway in Zambia! Craziness! Maybe one day I can visit Zambia and see if Zambian Subway is better than Tanzanian :)**
"So whether we are at home or away, we make it our aim to please him." 2 Corinthians 5:9
Sunday, February 26, 2006
Eatin' some Subway in Tanzania
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania has a Subway! Isn't that crazy? There's like 3 in this town, but no where else on the African continent. It wasn't exactly the same as Subway in the States, but after not eating it in over a year I was definitely impressed! It's owned by an Arab man...I wanted to find the owner and tell him we could use one in Uganda :) Here I am with Laura Lee who works with university students in Dar (we went to college together). My trip to Tanzania was great, but that place is way too hot! I am not used to humidity in Uganda. I mean it was so hot I would sweat while standing in front of a fan or while taking a cold shower! I enjoyed seeing the beautiful Indian Ocean and Zanzibar, but I have to say I was ready to get back 'home' to Uganda's cooler weather.
** Correction (thanks to Amy a former jman in Lesotho, Africa) there is a Subway in Zambia! Craziness! Maybe one day I can visit Zambia and see if Zambian Subway is better than Tanzanian :)**
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Kari, so glad you got a taste of American food again! It's the little joys that mean a lot sometimes. And just for the record, Mallory had a subway in Lusaka, Zambia. So if you get to go there, you could enjoy another sub. ;)
Praying for you,
Amy
Sweet there's a Subway in Lusaka? Thanks for the info! There's a bus that goes from Uganda to Lusaka in like 3 or 4 days...think it's worth it? :)
So, can I assume that they don't serve my favorite Italian BMT? It has Genoa salami and pepperoni on it. That doesn't sound like something your average Arab is going to stock.
Absolutely! 3 or 4 days on African bus-- aka no AC, bumpy rides, no bathroom, and lots of smells... what's the dilemma? ;)
Post a Comment