This past Thursday and Friday I helped in a food distribution project in a village called Nakinombe, about an hour away (where we held our medical clinic this past summer). While we were there this summer we saw that this particular area was suffering from a drought and many people were without food. A grant came through to help feed 7 villages around this area. We have a church here and the pastor was albe to coordinate everything. This was the last of 3 distributions. We distributed 30kg bags of beans and 50kg bags of posho (corn maize flour) to each family. I of course wasn't a lot of help in lifting the bags, but I tried and then helped in organization and writing names on the bags. This village is a mix of two different tribes so they don't all speak Runyankore (the language I am learning. But I tried my best and the women seemed to appreciate my trying :) One lady even gave me a bunch of the small sweet bananas they grow here in appreciation, which was very sweet. They also gave a bunch to Jared, the 12 year old son of my teammates, who came to help (he is seated beside me in the picture). They all kept commenting about him and his ability to speak some in Ruyankore. God has really been working in this village church. A Muslim man (who is still practicing Islam) came and offered to donate sand to help complete the church building! He said that, 'this church is different...you care about our people's needs'. Several people have come to know the Lord and this church (Nakinombe Baptist Church) is really growing. Praise God! Please pray for them and their pastor, Vianney.
"So whether we are at home or away, we make it our aim to please him." 2 Corinthians 5:9
Sunday, October 30, 2005
Food Distribution in Nakinombe....
This past Thursday and Friday I helped in a food distribution project in a village called Nakinombe, about an hour away (where we held our medical clinic this past summer). While we were there this summer we saw that this particular area was suffering from a drought and many people were without food. A grant came through to help feed 7 villages around this area. We have a church here and the pastor was albe to coordinate everything. This was the last of 3 distributions. We distributed 30kg bags of beans and 50kg bags of posho (corn maize flour) to each family. I of course wasn't a lot of help in lifting the bags, but I tried and then helped in organization and writing names on the bags. This village is a mix of two different tribes so they don't all speak Runyankore (the language I am learning. But I tried my best and the women seemed to appreciate my trying :) One lady even gave me a bunch of the small sweet bananas they grow here in appreciation, which was very sweet. They also gave a bunch to Jared, the 12 year old son of my teammates, who came to help (he is seated beside me in the picture). They all kept commenting about him and his ability to speak some in Ruyankore. God has really been working in this village church. A Muslim man (who is still practicing Islam) came and offered to donate sand to help complete the church building! He said that, 'this church is different...you care about our people's needs'. Several people have come to know the Lord and this church (Nakinombe Baptist Church) is really growing. Praise God! Please pray for them and their pastor, Vianney.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment