Today is Uganda's independence day, but there weren't any fireworks or 'cook-outs'. I asked friends what they do to celebrate here, but most said 'nothing'. How sad...there's just not that 'pride' like we have back home. I think there was some kind of parade or something at the 'football' (soccer) stadium, but nothing special.
After I got home from eating local food with a friend after church today, someone was ringing my gate bell. I went out to find a Jehovah's witness at my gate. He was a Ugandan. When he told me who he was I couldn't help but laugh....JW's are everywhere! I was wondering why after all this time I had lived here he was just now coming today. After doing some reading on JW's, I saw that they don't believe in saluting of national flags (they think it's placing allegience to a nation as higher than Jehovah). So maybe since it was 'Indpedence Day' they were really trying to 'preach'. Anyways, even when I told him why I was in Uganda and what I believed it didn't scare him one bit. I tried to be 'nice' and listen for a bit (that is culturally appropriate), but finally told him he was wasting his time with me.
It really makes me sad/mad because these people are much more 'on fire' to share false teaching than we believers are to tell the TRUTH...why is that?! Most people here (even believers) haven't had very good theological teaching, so they are easily swayed by whatever they hear. Most people can't afford The Word and/or can't read so a JW who offers their 'book' free and seems to be knowledgeable are often trusted here. How long are we as believers of "The way, The truth, and The life" going to sit back and let false teachers 'win the nations'?
No comments:
Post a Comment